My love of baking combined with my love of sweet treats means that I constantly have to rein in my desire to bake all the yumminess all the time. Buuuuut a few weeks ago I discovered the magic of date balls – there is such a thing as relatively healthy yumminess! Unsurprisingly, date balls are my new favorite thing; particularly this recipe. They taste like they should be bad for you, but they aren’t! Best. Snack. Ever.
These little balls of deliciousness are vegan, super easy and quick to make and they don’t require any funny ingredients. I found the recipe on Pinterest, but it’s actually a Deliciously Ella recipe which explains why they’re so tasty. If you haven’t heard of her, check out her blog and Instagram for some amazing vegan recipes and inspo!
Anyway, let’s get to the date balls.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 100g roasted peanuts (try to get ones that haven’t been salted)
- 100g regular oats
- 400g dates (the recipe does recommend medjool dates but you can also use normal pitted dates)
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Chuck the nuts and oats into a food processor or powerful blender and whizz them until they form a chunky powder.
- Add the dates (don’t forget to take the pits out if you’re using medjool dates!), peanut butter and coconut oil and blend until a sticky mixture forms. Stop blending when the mixture reaches your desired consistency – I prefer my date balls chunky rather than super smooth, but it’s totally up to you.
- Roll the mixture into little bite-sized balls and leave them in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes to set before tucking in.
Store the date balls in a tupperware in the fridge. They should last for a few weeks, but I’ve never been able to keep them for much longer than a few days!
Apparently it helps to soak normal pitted dates in warm water for an hour or two before using them so that they’re a little bit softer and more similar in texture to medjool dates. I’m definitely going to try this the next time I make these!
What are your fave healthy treats?